Thursday, October 4, 2012

Making Butter

Last week at the History Center, the Toads got to pretend to make butter. Here's the post about that. They had such a fun time, I promised them we'd try the real thing soon. We don't have a butter churn at home but we were still successful. Here's what we did: 


We put one cup of heavy cream into a pint Mason jar.  We let it come up to room temperature.  We added 3 clean marbles.  We put on the lid and shook.  I seem to have a memory of butter taking forever to set up, hence why we added the marbles.  I had a premonition of each kid shaking for 30 seconds and then I'd be stuck having to do the rest until I passed out.  It only took 5 minutes and they did all of it!  They've eaten their butter on pancakes and crackers and they're proud it's something they made.  We saved the whey and that was the liquid in their latest batch of pancakes.

Cooking up U.S History says virtually the same things as I did but they didn't suggest marbles.  It's a great book that many homeschooling moms have recommended to me.  It's getting hard to get, but perhaps your local library has it.





3 comments:

Carrie said...

Oooh, I never heard of putting int the marbles! How interesting. Thank you so much for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

toady mama said...

Carrie - The marbles speed it up and for what its worth adding a satisfying clinky noise. Thanks for hosting!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm - perfect - thanks for linking it up with Kids in the Kitchen - your "how-to" is much better than mine ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...